Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Owning a Top 10 Website

17 years ago in a previous life I was the owner of righton dot com. When I would tell people that, they wouldn't believe I owned such a potentially lucrative website. This was when simple website names like that were selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars. In which a company in Oregon that had a device locking system sued to for the hostname. Back then I had a lot of free money and spent over $25k to keep the website URL.

What was interesting was the volume of emails I would receive. I had it setup so that if any email that went to XXX@ right on doc com would go into my email server. There I could filter through thousands of emails I would receive each day. I wrote filters that I applied so that I could find real emails compared to fake ones.

One interesting set of emails was some drunk guy in Australia who was trying to email a girl he had met. Obviously she had given him some fake email address and he kept emailing her, trying to apologize or something.

No comments: